Thursday 21 October 2010

Mel made me do it

This blog may occaisonally stray into cooking.  It may often stray into reminiscence.  It may often just stray...

I was asked recently what I would save if my house was on fire.  I thought about it keenly.  I could save all those documents that prove who I am, those kindergarten pictures that have some kind of pasta stuck to them that I've hauled halfway across the world, the first edition Barbara Cartlands.  I could save my wedding photographs or the Erstwhile's music collection.  In the end, there really was no contest.  What I would save first would be my Cookery the Australian way.

It is not the most attractive of books.  It is the antithesis of the Donna Hay, Nigella Lawson, Women's Weekly, or Jamie Oliver cookbooks that crowd other shelves in my kitchen with their gorgeous staged photos and a recipe or two per page.  It no longer has a spine per se - that was lost somewhere between one move or another - but you can see it has been put together the old fashioned way, with linen tape and bound sections, like battle wounds, spiked with that glue that hardened like lacquer.  Its cover is not so much buff-coloured as bruised.  The pages fall open at well-worn places, leaving others untouched.  Inside there are very few pictures, not in colour - which is lucky, because the pictures tend to be the dismembered corpses of meat.  It has all the essentials of a book that should be discarded.

But it won't be.  Not this one. 

What it holds is household management, invalid cookery, the first metric cooking measurements I ever encountered, the D I got helping a young Yugoslav girl understand schnitzel, cold afternoons with fresh scones and home-made blackberry jam, earning money to buy new clothes, school days, young motherhood, cream puffs, breakfast, lunch and Christmas.

It is scruffy - yes.  Its pages threaten to abandon the cookbook - yes.  Its most exotic recipe is beef stroganoff (Russia).  But in the great tradition of those notebooks that mothers and grandmothers left to their children, this cookbook - Cookery the Australian way 2nd revised metric edition - this book will be mine to pass on.  I haven't decided who to will it to yet, mainly because I haven't met the child I'd trust with it.  But in those reveries that happen while waiting for the potatoes to boil, I imagine a grandchild of mine will fondly remove it from a bottom drawer to show my great-grandchildren Grandma's favourite recipes.  And my great-grandchildren, as they gaze at the stains and damage and the dried-out pastry in the spine will, in traditional fashion, go "Urgh!  How did anybody ever eat that?  Can we have pizza for tea?"

4 comments:

  1. Mel made me do it too! Congratulations on a great blog - looking forward to more - food related and otherwise! My very few precious recipe books bring me such pleasure - pages decorated shamelessly with various ingredients from my favourite recipes! I shed all but a few when we went travelling. And now that we live in France those chosen few are a very significant connection with my English roots. Good Luck... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant description of the pain, sorrow, hope and occasional meal that may result from this book. Even more interesting is the snapshot into your psyche which is tell-tale given that your husband, Son and presumably some secondary nondescript household item may make the list of things to carry out first in the event of a fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I have to say I thought I was the only one to love her Cookery the Australian way book so much. I recieved my copy when I was in Year 9 and have moved with it and loved it and used it often. Too often I thought I had my recipes memorised and didn't need to bring it with me to the UK, Suffering intensly without it. Luckily it will be there when I go back home. The recipes are simple and yummy what more could you ask! Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my book too and bring it out for those basic receipes like jam or pancakes. I was browsing the book today and noticed .... a mistake! I'm in shock. But then again maybe I have missed something. Check out page 261 Cheese Cakes and tell me, should cheese be included in the ingredients somewhere?

    ReplyDelete